Molecular Biosciences Program:
The PhD in Molecular Biosciences from the UAM, regulated by the R.D.99/2011, is a joint initiative of the Department of Molecular Biology from the Faculty of Sciences and the Department of Biochemistry from the Faculty of Medicine. The program also involves academics and researchers from other departments of the UAM, and numerous researchers from other collaborating institutions of national and international prestige, including the “Severo Ochoa” Molecular Biology Center (CBMSO), the Institute for Biomedical Research (IIB), the National Center for Oncological Research (CNIO), the National Center for Cardiovascular Research (CNIC), the National Center for Biotechnology (CNB), the Center for Energy, Environmental and Technological Research (CIEMAT), the Cajal Institute, the Institute of Catalysis and Petroleochemistry (ICP), the National Microbiology Center of ISCIII, the “Jiménez Díaz” Foundation and several Univerity Hospitals (La Paz, La Princesa, Puerta de Hierro and Gregorio Marañón).
The main objective of this PhD is the training for research work in the field of Molecular Biosciences (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology). To achieve this, the PhD promotes the realization of a series of trainings while developing a quality research within a group attached to the program research activities. This period culminates in the preparation and presentation of a doctoral thesis with an original scientific contribution that advances in scientific knowledge within the field of specialization.
Upon completion of this PhD, the students:
- Will have demonstrated a systematic understanding in the fields of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology, and mastery of the skills and methods of research associated with that field.
- Will have made a contribution through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge in some areas of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology, developing a substantial theme of which merits publication at national or international level.
- Will be able to make a critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas in the fields of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology.
- Will know how to communicate with their scientific peers, the academic community as a whole, and society in general, about aspects related to the field of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology.
- Will be able to promote, within academic and professional contexts, scientific, technological and social progress within a knowledge-based society.
Available research lines include:
- Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology of Systems
- Biotechnology of Microorganisms
- Cardiovascular Biology and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Cell biology and Dynamics
- Cellular Organization and Control
- Developmental Molecular Biology
- Drug discovery
- Genome Dynamics and Function
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Infectious Diseases
- Metabolism and Cell Signaling
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology of Photosynthetic Organisms
- Molecular Immunology
- Molecular Medicine and Health Biotechnology
- Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology
- Molecular Oncology
- Molecular Virology
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Genetic Diseases
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Immune and Inflammatory Diseases
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Neurological and Neuromuscular Diseases
- Plant Developmental Biology
- Protein Structure and Function
Further details about Monitoring, evaluation, submission & defense of thesis in http://ciencias.biomol.uam.es/phd_monitoring
Degree Official Documentation:
- Degree explanatory memorandum
- Evaluation report for ‘ANECA’ verification
- Verification resolution
- Link to the registry of Universities, Centers and Degrees